The New Year has started. You’ve decided to stick to your New Year’s resolutions and it’s going quite well. Also, you may have received an unexpected gift, a new puppy or kitten, or you’ve planned for some time to get one. Maybe your furry companion is getting older, and you are thinking about getting an insurance plan for your pet, to help you with some of the bills.
Between all the regular preventive care examinations with parasite prevention, dental cleanings, yearly blood work, and all the possible dangers that your pet can get herself or himself into, it’s a great thing you can do for your pet and for your wallet.
But the first question that comes to mind is, “What is the perfect pet insurance plan out there?” It is a valid question; unfortunately, there is no straightforward answer to it. The better question would be, “What is the perfect pet insurance plan out there FOR MY PET?” It can be quite overwhelming and confusing finding the right policy for your pet.
We are going to try to simplify the whole process for you. The insurance companies and the whole procedure work quite simply.
– You pick a premium you are willing to pay monthly and keep paying it.
– Once you visit your veterinarian and all the diagnostic procedures and treatments are performed, you will need to pay your bill in full before leaving your veterinarian’s office.
– You will submit the claim to your insurance company with all the forms (the insurance company provides them), medical notes and invoices (we can provide these to you).
– Wait for your reimbursement from the insurance company.
Here is the list of some pet insurance companies out there and the links to their websites:
- AKC – http://www.akcpethealthcare.com/
- ASPCA Pet Health Insurance – http://www.aspcapetinsurance.com/
- Embrace – http://www.embracepetinsurance.com/
- Healthy Paws – http://www.aspcapetinsurance.com/
- PetFirst – https://www.petfirst.com/
- PetPlan – https://account.gopetplan.com/
- Pets Best Insurance – http://www.petsbest.com/
- Purina Care – http://www.purinacare.com/
- Trupanion – http://trupanion.com/
- VPI – http://www.petinsurance.com/
To help you decide what insurance is best for your pet, here are some questions and concerns you want to address with the companies before choosing the right policy for your pet:
- What ages of pets can be enrolled and what discounts they offer
- The coverage of wellness care
- The coverage for illnesses and injuries
- The coverage of hereditary conditions and any restrictions on coverage
- The coverage for certain breeds (the ones with more genetic/congenital problems, i.e. English bulldog, Shar-Pei…)
- Turn-around time from filling a claim and reimbursement
- Annual deductable levels
- Lifetime claims limit
- Can you use any veterinarian provider?
- When is the best time to enroll?
- Multiple pet discounts
We are hoping you will choose the best insurance policy for your pet and that this blog was helpful in making that decision.
If you are not ready to purchase an insurance policy, you may want to think of opening a ‘savings’ account for your pet. Put aside a certain amount each month and use it for your pet’s medical bills only.
If you have any additional questions or any comments, please let us know. We are here to help you do what’s best for your pet!